- black cardamom 2
- chicken medium pieces grams 800
- chopped coriander leaves tbsp 2
- cinnamon stick 2
- cloves and green cardamoms each number 2
- cumin and coriander pdr tsp 1/2
- Ginger Garlic paste tbsp 2
- flavored rice(basmati) cup 2
- green chilli number 2
- javeri mace tbsp 1
- lime juice tbsp 1
- medium sized onions sliced number 4
- oil or (ghee) tbsp 2
- onion fried large 2
- pepper corns piece 6
- saffron color tsp 1/2
- salt to taste
- turmeric to taste
- curd cup 2
- Cut the chicken into desired length pieces
- Fry the oinion slices till golden brown and crispy .Keep them aside.
- In a bowl add chicken, gingergarlic paste, mint, curd, green chillies, coriander leaves, pepper corns, cumin, chilli powder turmuric, salt, cumin, coriander powder and whole garamasala spices, fried onions and oil,
- Mix all the ingredients well.ensure that the chicken pieces are coated well with all the masalas and juices.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add water,salt and bring to boil .
- Add 2 cloves,1 bay leaf and 2 cardamom.
- Add 3 tbsp of oil or ghee in the water.This helps the rice to cook grainy which is very good for making biryani.
- Add rice and cook till it is 80% cooked,If you pinch the grain with your nail,it should be hard enough and get mashed.
- Now remove it from flame and drain the water immediately.Keep it aside
- Now in a heavy bottomed bowl heat 2 tbsp of oil,Add marinated chicken and spread at the bottom and then add a layer of half cooked rice, mint leaves, onion fried, saffron color .add as many layers you want like this and close it with the lid
- Put it on high flame for 10 min and then reduce the flame.
- Keep the cooking bowl on a iron skillet in order not to make the biryani burnt.
- Cook it for 30 mins and ensure you close the top with a air tight lid.
Traditionally this recipe is cooked in an earthen pot for many hours on very low indirect flame.
If you are new to this recipe,then cook till the chicken is done to 80% and form the layers.We see the rice grains tempting us in diff colours in restuarants.The trick is to pour the saffron or the food colour(mixed in little water) here and there before closing the lid for cooking.
It is so easy to prepare biryani at home.So don’t waste money outside ;)Come back if you have any queries:!