PONGAL…is one of the famous South Indian dishes which you can find it on Rajadhani Express even which travels to the capital city of Delhi or the Jammu Thavi express which touches the top of India..That famous it is..This is one of my favourite breakfast items which my mom prepares..I love to have it with pea nut chutney but it tastes great with sambar also..
I hope you like it very much and do try this version…
What You Need:
Rice – 1 cup
Moon dal/Split yellow lentils – 1 Cup
Salt to taste
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Water – 6 cups
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 2 springs
Ginger finely grated – 2 inch piece
Green chilli finely chopped- 2
Cashews – 10
Pepper corns – 1 tbsp(I used pepper powder in tampering as no corns were available)
Jeera – 2 tbsp
Cilantro – few springs
How I Made:
- Soak rice and dal separately in lots of water for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a cooker and add rice and dal.Add salt and mix it well.
- Fry them for 6 minute sor so till nice smell comes.
- Pour in 6 cups of water and bring it to boil on keeping the flame high.Adjust salt accordingly.
- Cook till the rice and dal becomes mashy and all the water evaporates by covering with a lid.
- Melt some ghee in a pan and add the ginger and chilli pices.
- Then throw in cashews,cumin and curry leaves and pepper corns.
- Pour this over the pongal and mix it well.Serve hot with peanut chutney or coconut chutney or sambar.
|All your ingredients..|
|Add ghee in a cooker|
|Add soaked rice and dal..|
|Mix the rice and dal and saute for few mins|
|Add water and then salt..|
|Bring it to boil..|
|Boil boil..Cook cook..|
|Cook till the rice gets cooked completely and mashy..|
|Add ginger pieces and green|
|Add in cashews,cumin and curry leaves..Pls omit mustard and hinge|
|Pour the tadka over the pongal and mix it well|