My H is a pure vegetarian (unlike me as I can cook though not eating) who hates to even pass by that side where chicken gets cooked.But so sweet of him this time,he said ok to me when I asked him if he could get me some chicken from the near by Asian Meat Market..I asked him to ask for chicken drumsticks..This intelligent guy came flying in 10 minutes showing me proudly that he successfully completed his chicken shopping for the first time in his life time..Me opened and to my utter dismay I couldn’t understand what kind of meat he got..and then finally realised that the each chicken drumsticks was made cut into two equal halves!!!! When asked he told me so innocently-‘Every time we go you would ask him to chop the chicken and hence I did the same(When I buy chicken breast I will ask so to cut into pieces)Before he could tell,I have completely got a picture of the butcher’s weird looks when this guy asked to chop the drumsticks..LOL..he used a machine to cut the drumsticks ..We thoroughly enjoyed that day and had a long laughing time with hubby’s funny chicken purchase..
Ok now coming to the recipe,What do you need for the recipe of Indian Tandoori Chicken:
- Chicken Drumsticks —————— 1/2 kg
- Red chilli powder———————- 2 tbsp
- Lemon Juice out of———————-1
- Salt————————————-1/4 tbsp
- Tandoori Masala——————— 50 gms packet(I used store bought Shaan Tandoori Masala)
- Red chilli powder———————1 tbsp
- Coriander powder——————–1 tbsp
- Thick Yoghurt————————-1 cup(100 gms)
- Turmeric——————————1 tbsp
- Kasuri Methi ————————- 1 1/2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste——————-1 tbsp
- Oil————————————2 tbsp
If you are using normal yogurt that is not thick,you can place it over a muslin clothe and squeeze the extra water and keep it aside for 20 mins so that you will get the thick precipitate.
Indian Chicken Tandoor Recipe:
- Wash your chicken pieces and drain the water completely.Make slits over all the pieces
- Take lemon juice into a plate and add red chilli powder and salt.Mix well and rub this to the chicken pieces well so that it gets immersed into the chicken.
- Cover it and keep this side for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile start making your marination.Take the yoghurt into a large bowl and add all the spice powders mentioned along with salt. Pls adjust salt according to your taste as we are adding it in two places.
- Mix it well.The red chilli powder,turmeric and tandoori masala will give the marination a rich colour so that you don’t need to add any artificial colour.Also add the oil into this marination.Rest it for 15 min.
- Coat the chicken pieces with this marination very well and keep it in fridge for at least 2 hours.Leaving this overnight will bring you the best results.
- Pre heat the oven to its max heat for 10 minutes,I used 225 degrees C.
- Line a baking tray with foil and drizzle some oil here and there to place the chicken pieces.
- Line up your well marinated chicken and again drizzle some oil over each piece to give it a perfect taste.Use a oil spray to minimise the content of fat.
- Bake them for 15 minutes by checking occasionaly.Flip them to the other side and bake it again for 15 more minutes.This is the ideal amount of time that requires and the time took for me.please check at your end according to your style of taste and the oven you have.
- Chicken tandoori tastes good with green mint chutney but unfortunately I couldn’t serve with it.
- Slice up some onions and carrots and serve hot
|Mix lemon juice,salt and red chilli powder|
|Rub lemon juice to the slit chicken and keep it aside|
|Take thick curd into a bowl|
|and add in all the spice powders and kasuri methi|
|and green chilli paste..I adjusted some chilli powder|
|Coat the chicken pieces well and then put in fridge for atleast 2 hrs|
|Prepare your baking tary and drizzle some oil|
|Line up your chicken|
|And then bake in oven for 30 mins by flipping in between|
|Baked..baked baked..done done
I was so happy that my baking succeeded ..I always have a special liking for baking..it requires less oil and less attention too
|Serve hot with onion carrot rings..|
|Need a bite????|
|Goes to my dear friend Swati…
So howz that?? Do try it out and let me know how it came..See you and take care until next post..