As many of you might know, Baking Partners is a group of cheerful group of home bakers which was created by Swathi from Zesty South Indian Kitchen. Each month we need to bake a specified item and show case our baking skills. It is truly a learning experience for those who all love to learn baking. Last month we did French macaroons which was a real fun and this month’s challenge is to make bread using tanghzong method or using scalded flour method.This is the 8th challenge for Baking Partners and I have chosen to make bread using tanghzong method as it sounded easy to me..I would not say that I have completely fulfilled the challenge as the bread turned out little hard to me than the ones we buy in bakery..I tried using the same recipe given by Swathi but I think I did not do justice while kneading the dough as I did it almost mid night the other dayJ..But it is really a great feeling to bake our own bread as not even in my dreams I haven’t imagined that I would bake bread one day ..
Method of making tangzhong:
Ingredients of tangzhong
- · 50gm/ 1//3 cup All-purpose flour · 250ml/ 1cup water
- 350gm/ 2½ cups bread flour
- 3tsp caster sugar
- /1tsp salt
- 1 Egg
- 125ml/ ½ cup milk
- 120gm tangzhong (exactly half of the above quantity we prepared above)
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 30gm/3tbsp butter
Method of making tangzhong:
1. Mix flour in water well without any lumps. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring consistently with a wooden spoon, whisk or spatula to prevent burning and sticking while you cook along the way.
2. The mixture will start thickening as the heat increases. You will notice some lines soon which indicated that it is done. If you want to check the temperature of tangzhong it is 65 C/149 F(but I didn’t check this).Remove from heat and allow it to cool down.
Transfer into a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or a to prevent from drying up. Let it cool. The tangzhong can be used straight away once it cools down to room temperature. Just measure out the amount you need. The leftover tangzhong can be stored in fridge up to a few days as long as it doesn't turn grey. If so, you need to discard and cook some more. (Note: The chilled tangzhong should return to room temperature before adding into other ingredients. )
Method of making bread:
- Combine all dry ingredients: flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast in a bowl. Make a well in the center Whisk and combine all wet ingredients: milk, egg and tangzhong, then add into the well of the dry ingredients. Knead until you get a dough shape,Add the butter. Keep kneading until the dough is smooth, not sticky and elastic.I faced a tough time kneading the dough as it will be sticky initially but as you keep kneading it will become less sticky and more elastic.
- Knead the dough into a ball shape. Place in a bowl and cover with a wet towel or. Let it proof till it's doubled in size, Mine took good amount if about 60 minutes . Transfer to a clean floured surface. Deflate and divide the dough into three equal portions. Knead into ball shapes. Cover with a damp cloth and et rest for 15 minutes.
- Take each balls and roll it lightly to form an oval shapr. Roll the sheet and again flatten to oval shape.Roll it again such folds form and gently press the edges just to seal the dough.
- Leave it for the 2nd round of proofing, about 40 minutes, or until the dough rises up to 3/4 of the height of the tin inside.
- Brush whisked egg on surface. Bake in a pre-heated 180C (350F) oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and tin. Transfer onto a wire rack and let cool completely. Slice to serve.
Spend good time on kneading the dough as it is very crucial to get that softness to your bread.It is worth so spend more time on kneading to achieve 100% result.
Instead of 1 cup of water you could use ½ cup of milk and ½ cup of water.
Enjoy making bread at your home !!
Pour in your suggestions and tips to make soft bread!