Lentils are essential part of a healthy diet which supplies power packed proteins to our body.They are a rich source of proteins for vegetarians and especially for young children.It is highly important to include variety of lentils in the regular food to safe guard our health.They supply sufficient energy to the body.Lentils contain fiber,folate and essential minerals.When they are coupled with fresh vegetables they form a wholesome healthy meal..Please try to include different types of lentils at least twice a week in your diet.You can consume them in various forms including soups,dals and also as healthy sweets.Today I coupled my red lentils with ridge gourd to make a wholesome meal for my family.It is little bit spiced up with some tender spices and green chillis.You could use different types of lentils paired up with healthy vegetables which can be consumed with any main dishes like rice,breads etc.You can also consume as it is I believe..In Andhra we call it beerakaya pappu..which tastes yummy with hot rice and a dollop of ghee accompanied with crispy appadams or crisps.
Am really sorry this time as I could not post step by step pictures since I made this dal in a hurry..I will try to update the post with step by step clicks once I make it again.
Takes 20 min;Serves -4 to 5
- Red Lentils/Yellow Lentils/Toor Dal/Kandi Pappu - 2 cups
- Ridge Gourd - 2 small
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tbsp
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Tamarind - half a lemon size
- Tomato - 1 big
- Green Chillies slit - 3
- Salt as per taste
- Water - 4 cups
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- Split bengal gram/Channa dal - 1/2 tbsp
- Crushed garlic - 3 pods
- Curry Leaves - 1 spring
- Coriander Leaves
- Soak lentils in enough water for 30 minutes which will help reducing the cooking time.This step is purely optional and if you don't wish you can use the lentils directly.
- Mean while,peel the ridge gourd and cut into small chunks or cubes.
- Cube the tomato and slit the green chillies too.
- Take a pressure cooker and put washed lentils,vegetables and add turmeric,red chilli powder,tamarind,green chillies and pour water.Mix it well and cook until three whistles.
- Allow the pressure to go off and open the pan.Add enough slat and mash the lentils with bug spatula.Mix it well once again.
- Now heat oil in another pan and crackle mustard,bengal gram and curry leaves.Add in crushed garlic and pour it hot on the cooked dal.
Comforting and simple yet protein rich dal is ready to serve with rice or bread!!
- You can add onion too if you wish which would give a different taste.
- Use ghee instead of oil for tempering if you need a rich taste to the dal.
- These spiced up lentils can also be used as a filling for sandwiches.
Over to you for your valuable suggestions and comments!!