Who all hate lady’s finger for its sticky nature? I am going to give you a simple tip for removing stickiness from it. Do you know that addition of a little amount of curd can actually do the trick? Try the other time you cook okra and let me know if that doesn't work. Anyhow you are not letting me to know..Coz it works like miracle!!
Am giving you a super quick and finger licking recipe of lady’s finger today. As you already knew we in Andhra Homes never complete a meal without a spoonful of freshly prepared vegetable chutneys aka Andhra Roti Pachchallu (రోటి పచ్చళ్ళు ) I have already posted Andhra Chutney recipes in the past and you can check it out below.
Okra Tomato Chutney is a finger licking starter to any normal day meal. Like I always say, these chutneys are a great way to sneak in fresh vegetables with less oil. And this is a perfect recipe for those lazy afternoons where you need to cook just for two and don’t want to spend much time in kitchen. It tastes too good with white rice and ghee.
Also be aware that consuming Okra increases your mind power. And this is what my mom used to tell me from my childhood :P I bet your mom too would have told the same story ! Forget about the benefits ,I like it for its heavenly taste!Try it out and you will agree with me!
Takes 30 min;Serves -4
- Fresh tender Okra/Lady’s Finger – ¼ kg
- Tomato chopped – 2 Big
- Green Chilli split -2
- Onions sliced -1 Big
- Coriander Leaves – few springs
- Channa Dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1/4tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Curry Leaves – 1 spring
- Oil – 2 ½ tbsp.
- Hinge - 2 pinches
- Wash Okra well in running water and pat dry them with kitchen towel. Cut Okra into 1 inch pieces. Make sure you observe the vegetable carefully while cutting to see if there are any worms in it. Always pick up lady’s finger that is not in very dark green colour.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and splutter mustard seeds, green chillis and curry leaves and add hinge. Add in urad dal,fenugreek seeds and channa dal and fry for a minute or two. Oh boy! I just love the aroma that spreads around when the dals get fried. Don’t you??
- Now time for adding onion slices and fry till they turn light brown along with some salt. Once it is done add in the okra pieces and fry till they lose the raw smell. At this point could add a tbsp of curd to get rid of the stickiness Throw in the chopped tomatoes and cook till the mixture is tender enough.
- Add in the spice powders and roast for few more minutes, switch off the flame and allow it to cool down. Let’s grind the chutney now along with some cumin seeds and fresh coriander. Do not add too much water and it is perfect when you don’t add water at all!
- Take it into a bowl and garnish with some fresh coriander leaves
Super tasty Andhra lady’s finger tomato Chutney ready!
- Traditional method includes addition of a lemon sized water soaked tamarind ball while grinding the chutney, but I prefer without tamarind.
- These chutneys taste heavenly when ground in traditional mortar and pestle. If you have the equipment and energy to make it that way, believe me, you can get the real taste of these chutneys!
- Since we already tempered while cooking the vegetables no need to do again,
If you ever try this recipe please consider sending me the feedback!
For any queries or feedback write to sirisfood[at]gmail[dot]com