Kobbari Karam(Coconut Powder/Podi) is a mild spice powder made of roasted coconut and dried red chillies as main ingredients .It is a unique Andhra style accompaniment for the traditional breakfast like Idly/dosa.Or if you don’t have time to cook up something for you on a lonely afternoon, throw up few rice grains in the electric rice cooker and set some ghee. Your meal is ready. It tastes equally wholesome with just plain rice too. And if you have some sexy brinjals at home this podi can take the curry to a different state when in you might see a heaven. So this is it..It’s a multipurpose essential that should be available in your pantry all the time to rescue you. It also requires just few ingredients and cane make a great replacement for regular chutneys and can save lot of time in your busy mornings..
This Kobbari Karam aka Coconut Chilli powder often reminds me my lovely grandmother who is a great cook I have known ever.,She makes everything with lots of love and used to wait for us to come for holidays..
My dear Nanamma.. నువ్వు ఎక్కడ ఉన్నా… నీ జ్ఞాపకాలు న గుండె ని వీడి పొవు... ..I love you so much and I dedicate all my cooking skills to you..<3 u..
I have a multi-purpose curry powder recipe too which can be used to serve as side dish for idly/dosa..Take a look here
Takes 30 min; Makes 500 gms
- Dried Coconut grated – 400 gms
- Dried Red Chillies – 15 or 75 gms
- Garlic – 1
- Salt to taste
- Cumin seeds – 2 tbsp
- Take and pan and dry roast the red chillies until they are mildly hot .Make sure not to burn the chillies. If interested add a tbsp. of oil for frying but I like the dry version.
- Remove them to a plate and cool down. Meanwhile dry roast the cumin seeds as well.
- Take chillies, cumin into a mixer jar and add some salt. Give a round of mix and you can see the chillies forming into coarse powder.
- Add the grated dried coconut and garlic pods and grind it again to coarse powder.
- You should not make it into fine powder as the coarse texture is the uniqueness of this Kobbari Karam.
If you ever try this recipe please consider sending me the feedback!
For any queries or feedback write to sirisfood[at]gmail[dot]com