How to Cook Basmathi rice for making perfect Dum Biryani..
Many of us like Dum Biryani a lot and am no exception for it.I like it very much even though I cannot bear the spiciness in it.But the success of making a perfect dum biryani depends on how well we cook the basmathi rice.It should be of correct texture else you will end up with a flop biryani :)After trying for so many times I can say that I have excelled in it 😛 Ok now let us see the recipe for cooking basmati rice which helps you to make a perfect dum biryani..You could use this for both veg and non-veg rice dishes…
You can check out my biryani recipes here:
Hyderabadi Dum Biryani
Tomato Corinader RiceWhat You Need:
- Basmathi rice – 2 cups
- Water – 6 cups
- Whole spices like
- Cloves – 5
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Green cardamom -2
- Black Cardamom – 1
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Javitri /mace – 1 tbsp
- Black cumin/Shajeera – 1tbsp
- And any other whole spices 🙂
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
METHOD TO COOK BASMATHI RICE FOR BIRYANI
- Soak the basmathi rice with more water for minimum 30 min.
- Take water in a heavy bottomed pan and bring it to boil on high flame.
- Add in a 2 tbsp of either ghee or oil.Add the whole spices mentioned above.Add salt accordingly.
- Now add the soaked rice and stir well.Keep the flame on high only.
- The ghee in the water makes the rice to be grainy.It won’t allow the grains to stick together and this is what we need for biryani.
- Allow the rice to cook on high flame till 60%.That means if you hold a grain,it should be hard enough and also it should be mashed when you press. Remember its going to get cooked again!
- Now switch off the flame and drain the water immediately.else the rice becomes fully cooked and when you make layers for biryani it gets over cooked.
|Boil water and ghee|
|Add your spices to the water|
|Sry..cudnt capture the previous step..The rice is half boiled now|
|Can you see the beautiful grains??|
The essential elements of a perfect dum biryani