Yes…You heard it right..I didnt use any spices or garlic or ginger or turmeric in this vegetable Pulav…This is the most healthier version of Vegetable Pulav you can ever get…I used a little spoon of butter just to fry the cashews,onions..In fact you could use the cream of the boiled milk in place of butter..since i dont have it ..I used butter..Its a perfect blend of colourful vegetables cooked along with aromatic basmathi rice..I didnt even use salt or any kind of spice powders in this dish..One good thing about this pulav is it doesn’t contain vegetables that are deep fried in loads of oil.also masala content is zero in this and you can have any amount of this rice without any guilt…
Another important thing is you could use spinach juice or tomato juice or coconut milk to cook the rice instead of water..It adds lot of salt content of course the natural way and makes it more healthy..This recipe is a inspiration from Dr.Manthena Satyanarayana Raju healthy recipes program called ‘Rogalu Raani Ruchulu’..(Foods that prevent diseases)..His recipes are simple and healthy and I like the substitutes that he suggest for leading healthy life… I will be trying more of his recipes in near future and keep you posted..
Off to the recipe for Vegetable Pulav now…
What You Need:
Any vegetables of your choice..I used carrots,potatoes,tomatoes,green peas
Onion – 1/2 chopped
Green chilli slit – 5
Mint Leaves – 1/2 bunch
Coriander Leaves chopped- 5 tbsp
Sour curd mixed with 1 lemon (juice) – 3 tbsp
Cashew nuts – 10
Green cardamom – 5
Cream of milk pr butter – 1 small tbsp
Basmathi rice soaked for 1 hr in plenty of water.
- Heat a half tbsp of butter in a heavy bottomed pan.Fry the cashews and cardamom.We avoided all spices in this except this as it gives nice flavour to rice.
- Add in onion and slit green chillies and sauté till they turn transparent.Now pop in all veggies and cook it covered until they become soft.If you wish sprinkle some salt but I avoided it in my rice and got that taste using curd and lemon.
- Add the sour curd mixed with lemon juice.You could also use spinach or tomato puree at this point.
- Fresh coconut milk also gives your rice excellent taste.
- Add the soaked and drained rice grains and sauté well.Also add the green peas and chopped tomatoes .Add 2.5 cups of water and put it on high flame for 10 mins.
- Then reduce the flame and cook for another 20 mins.sprinkle lots of coriander and serve 🙂
Even though I avoided masala and spices,oil it tasted so great for me..I liked it very much and gonna prepare my vegetable pulav like this only going forward…