Mom used to make tomato rasam only since my childhood and that’s the only version I knew until I entered into the world of food blogging ..I learned so many rasam varieties from my fellow bloggers and started experimenting by cross breeding..I meant with ingredients 🙂 As always the end results are proving to be good enough..This time I tried a variety rasam that calls for coconut and lemon..Yes tamarind is out of the court now..also my guy don’t like tamarind so completely avoiding it as much as I can..
This hot piping coconut rasam is very flavourful and a perfect dish for a lazy weekend afternoon..You could even just drink it as a soup along with some starters 🙂
What You need:
- Fresh Grated coconut( i used frozen) – 4 tbsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Green chillies – 2
- Tomatoes cut – 1
- Pepper – a pinch
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves – 2 springs
- Lemon – 1
- Oil or ghlee – 1tbsp
How to Make Lemon Rasam with coconut :
- Start dry roasting grated coconut,green chillies and red chillies.
- When nice aroma comes add in tomatoes and cook till mashy with some oil or ghee.Sprinkle coriander leaves, coriander powder and cook for five more minutes.Adjust salt
- Add 3 cups of water and keep boiling on high flame for 3 mins.Then add pepper and boil on low flame until froth forms..
- Let the rasam rest for 10 mins once you switch off the flame.Squeeze some lemon juice and mix it well.Make some tampering with curry leaves and hinge if you wish but I couldn’t resist to wait 🙂
- Hot spicy coconut lemon rice is ready to serve with rice 🙂
Let us learn how to make coconut rasam or lemon rasam through step by step pictures:
|Dry roast coconut and chillies|
|Add cubed tomatoes and cook|
|till mashy,add spice powders and leaves|
|Pour water and adjust salt…keep boiling until froth forms|
|Switch off and add lemon juice after 10 mins|
|Ready to serve|
|Had it with sesame okra masala..will post the recipe soon 🙂
Until then take care..