Lentils are super nutrient rich and protein packed foods that are a perfect alternative to meat.These are grown and available round the world.They just need just water to cook and some ample amount of time.. Lentils can be mixed with any vegetables or greens to make a perfect main dish that goes well with rice or indian breads..This time am back with a simple lentil dal using fenugrek leaves and simple seasoning..This is also called..Methi Dal or మెంతి కూర పప్పు in telugu.
.Methi is my guy’s favourite green leafy vegetable and he would always nag me to choose this alone when we go for vegetable shopping 🙂
This super dooper methi dal is cooked in a pressure cooker that cooks each and every lentil soft..This restaurant style methi dal looks so tempting for me..lets jump into the recipe sooonn..
What You Need for making Methi Dal:
Methi Leaves or Fenugreek Leaves ——- 1 Bunch
Tomato ————————————1 small
Onion medium sized————————-1
Thoor Dal or Moong dal——————–1 cup(75 gms)
Red Chilli powder—————————1 tbsp
Coriander powder—————————1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Uradh dal—————-1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds———–1/2 tbsp
Jeera——————— 1 tbsp
Dried red chilli————2
Oil———————— 2 tbsp
Recipe for Menthi Kura Pappu or Methi Dal:
- Wash and soak the dal in plenty of water for 1 hour as this can reduce the cooking time.
- Pluck the methi leaves and wash them under hot running water to remove any dirt.
- Make the ingredients mentioned under seasoning except garlic into two equal halves.
- Take a pressure cooker and add a tbsp of oil to it.Crackle cumin seeds uradh dal and red chilli.
- Once they splutter add onions and fry till translucent.Add methi leaves and spice powders and fry for a minute.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and fry for a minute again.Pop in the soaked lentiles and again fry for a minute.
- Add 2 cups of water and cook until 3 whistles.Allow the pressure to go off .Remove the lid and mash it soft.
- Make seasoning with oil and the ingredients mentioned under seasoning and pour over the hot flavourful dal.
Step by step picture recipe for Methi Dal:
This is the style they follow in restaurants and hence the different taste.This way all the ingredients will be well mixed with dal and gives a tangy taste to the methi dal.
Click below for a super flavourful dal thats made with Mango 🙂
Mango Dal | Andhra Mamidikaya Pappu