Andhra style pappu charu is a simple sambar prepared with drumstick and shallots.The tiny shallots cooked in tamarind water and lentils gives a nice different yummy taste to the sambar..Also the smell of tender drumsticks gets spread across the dish and make you totally fall over for it.We call it pappu charu in telugu and no need to add any ground masals or sambar powders in this version
It is also called Munakkada Sambar. Relish and tickle your taste buds with this yummy andhra style chinna ullipaya sambar(shallot sambar).
When mixed with hot rice and ghee you will see the peaks of heaven once you taste the first spoon of it 🙂 Let me know once you try this
Preparation Time – under 60 mins.
Serves – 5
- Split yellow lentils or Thoor dal – 1 1/2 cup
- Shallots or small onions – 100 gms
- Green chilli slit – 2
- Drumstick chopped into 1 inch pieces – 2
- Tamarind – 1 big lemon sized
- Tomato chopped – 2
- Red chilli powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 spring
- Dried red chilli – 2
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Hinge – 1 pinch
- Soak the lentils in water for an hour which helps reduce the cooking time of it.
- Then add double the amount of water and pressure cook it until 3 whistles.Keep it aside.
- Soak the tamarind for 1 hour in two cups of water.If you dont have time microwave it and it should get soften soon.
- Boil the drumstick pieces in hot water for 5 min or microwave it and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed vessel and start frying the whole onions.
- Add green chillies and drumsticks and saute for a minute.
- Add in tomatoes and adjust salt and turmeric.Let it cook for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Meanwhile mash the tamrind well and squeeze the pulp out of it.Tamarind juice is ready now.
- Pour this over the vggies and boil on high flame for 5 min.
- Mash the cooked lentils and add it.If you need more content adjust the water accordingly.I wanted it to be thick and hence I added water double the amount of dal apart from the tamarind water.
- Boil it on low flame with half covered lid for 20 mins.Add red chilli powder and boil again for 10 minutes.Adjust salt and sprinkle coriander leaves,switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a kadai and mke tempering with all the ingredients mentioned.Pout it over hot sambar and serve hot.
|Line up your veggis and cooked dal|
|Start frying onions|
|and then add drumsticks and chillis|
|Add in tomatoes|
|and cook for a while adjusting salt and turmeric powder|
|Sueeze the juice out of tamrind|
|And pour it over the cooked veggies and boil for 5 mins|
|Add in the mashed dal and boil for 20 mins on low flame|
|Adjust red chillie powder and coil boil boil until done|
|And now done|
|Can you see it complete?|
|Tada..tempering ready to be poured over the sambar
Tip 1: Please do not add any other vegetables in this version as you will miss the real taste of this pappu chaaru:)
Tip 2: Serve this with hot rice and simple papad to enjoy completely
Linking this to 60 Days to Christmas Event