Onion Ghee Masala Rice is a very quick and magical item which you can prepare with left over rice.The recipe calls for less ingredients and less time.I love this rice very much and brings back my childhood memories ,we call it as ‘talimpu annam’ in telugu..Mom used to make this regularly ..You can add whatever toppings you want like podis,chutneys,curries etc to this lovely rice item..Its a great lunch box idea too..
I used a special podi in this to add extra flavour to the rice and this acted like a masala to this aromatic rice..Ghee when combined with fried onion and rice gives you a fantastic aroma..Yous kids will even love this fusion 🙂
Check out my other left over recipes here
Preparation time – under 30 mins.
- Left Over rice – 2 Cups
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Onion slices – 1 Big
- Green chilli slits – 1
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Channa dal – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tbsp
- Roasted Sesame Cocunut podi – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 springs
- Salt to taste
- Mash the rice gently and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan and start crackling mustard,cumin.then add channa dal and fry till noce aroma comes.
- Add green chilli and onions.Adjust salt and turmeric and fry till golden brown.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and mix well..It spreads nice aroma to rice when added at this stage.
- Add the rice and stir well such that the onion spreads across.Fry for a minute on high flame.
- Reduce the flame and add the spice powders.Mix well and cook on low flame for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot with any chutney or sambar or eat it hot straight away
|Line up ingredients|
|Start tempering with mustard,cumin and channa dal|
|Add in onions and green chilli|
|Onions Looking very sexy isnt it 🙂|
|Adjust salt and turmeric|
|Fry for sometime by adding coriander as well|
|Pop in cooked rice|
|And your spice powders as well|
|Cook on low flame for 10 mins..Ready hot….|
Linking this to amritas event