Attention all sea food lovers!!This tangy fish gravy is for you now..I really don’t know how it tasted but my dearest mom gave it a good certificate as I prepared this curry for the first time..This tangy fish curry aka Chepala Pulusu is made up of onions and tomatoes roasted in spice powders..The result was too good,spicy and satisfactory.Lets jump into the fish gravy recipe..
I did not use coconut in it,if you wish go ahead and add some grated coconut.It goes well with rice and roti to.My mom told that it tasted better the next day as all the flavours developed in to the fish overnight..
Serves 4 people
Preparation time – less than 60 min
- Fish pieces – 500 gms
- Onion chopped – 1
- Tomato Chopped – 2
- Green chilli slit – 3
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp+1/2 tbsp for marination
- Mustard seeds – 1 tbsp
- Jeera/Cumin – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 2 tbsp
- Pepper powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 6-7 tbsp
- Tamarind soaked in hot water – 1 lemon size
- Coriander leaves
Soak tamarind in hot water for atleast 20 min and extract juice out of it.Discard the pulp.Now start marinating the fish pieces with spice powders.Make the spice powders into 2 halves and sprinkle one half on the fish pieces along with 1/2 tbsp of ginger garlic paste.Let them marinate for at-least 30 min.
Take oil into a heavy bottomed pan and crackle cumin seeds,mustard seeds and curry leaves.Then add onions,green chilli and saute for a min.Add in ginger garlic paste and saute till the onions are soft.
Add in tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.Adjust some salt and sprinkle the remaining spice powders.
Add in the extracted tamarind juice and adjust some water(use less) and boil them on high flame for 5 minutes,
Add in the marinated fish pieces and boil them on high flame for another 5 minutes,Reduce the flame and cook it covered for atleast 20 min or until the fish is cooked inside.Adjust salt if required
Sprinkle lots of coriander and serve hot!!Tangy fish pulusu is ready to enjoy:)
I totally enjoyed cooking this fish gravy for the first time in my life..as it tasted good too..My family enjoyed this fish curry for 2 days 🙂
- Don’t put your ladle hard on the fish pieces while cooking as they tend to break up easily.Better not stir more than twice when required.
- Usage of grated fresh coconut gives it a total different taste so feel free to use.
- Allow the fish curry to sleep for a night..it gives a better taste.
- Marinate fish for more time to allow all the spice powders get coated well to the fish