|And that’s how my dinner used to be..so blessed isn’t it?|
|Our beautiful hostel ..|
Coming to the recipe, you call it kichidi or pongal or dal rice orwhatever, it is a beautiful blend of proteins,nutrients and carbohydrates and a little fat. This is a easy one pot meal(well almost) packed with spicy vegetables and moong dal(split green gram).I used the left over vegetables that have been lying in my fridge and you could use any of the vegetables for this.You don’t need any other side dish to finish this..
- 2 cups Rice
- 1.5 cup split green gram
- 7 cups water
- 2 green chillies slit
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 Cup Mixed Vegetable
- ½ tbsp curry powder
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- ½ tbsp coriander powder
- For Tampering:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp bengal gram
- ½ tsp of peppercorns
- 2 dried red chillies
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Few curry leaves and chopped coriander
- Soak rice and lentils together in plenty of water for at least an hour.Drain the water completely and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil to a heavy bottomed pan. Add the soaked rice and lentil mixture and fry for 5-8 min until the raw smell goes off.
- Add 7 cups of water and salt, mix well and cook it in high flame for 5 min,Reduce the flame and cook until the rice is mushy and 98% done.
- Meanwhile, heat a tbsp of oil in a frying pan and add the cut vegetables along with green chillies one by one. Sprinkle salt and turmeric and keep it covered for 10 min under high flame by continuouslysauting .The vegetables will ooze out water slowly.
- Reduce the flame and sprinkle all spice powders.Mix well and cook until the vegetables become tender.
- To the almost most cooked rice add this vegetable mixture and mix well from the bottom.Cook it covered for 5 more minutes and drizzle some ghee.
- In the frying heat oil or ghee for tampering and crackle mustard seeds, Add all the dals and curry leaves along with fried red chillies.Sprinkle hing and curry leaves in the hot mixture.
- Pour it over the hot vegetable lentil rice and mix well.Garnish with fresh coriander and enjoy with hot poppadoms!
You could use thoor dal in place of moon dal.
Also adding tamarind juice to this rice will give a diff taste but I somehow don’t use tamarind in many of my dishes.
Vegetables can be of your choice and taste.I used the below